Saturday, August 2, 2014

Update from Haiti!

Family and Friends,

I can't believe I have been in Haiti for over a month and a half! Two months from today I will be leaving to go home for our wedding! It's hard for me to know what to write in my blog. Part of the reason I like to write is for you to be able to experience what is happening. However, I also write because it helps me slow down my thoughts before I stress out about all these things I have no control over. It helps me remember to thank God in the good and hard times in the adventures that He has put me on.

I see things everyday that are hard to write about and describe. But as I look around at the people here, they are content with it all. This is what they are used to and how they grew up. They don't know anything different. So sometimes, I try to think that this isn't any different than how I have grown up and just be content in what I have and what God has provided for me.
BEAUTIFUL MOUNTAINS IN THE BACKGROUND 
I have had quite a few people back home ask me "How's Haiti?", well I am not going to lie...it has been a difficult adjustment. The heat, mosquitoes and the driving rule of "its always your turn" can be hard. I am learning to be more confident in driving here, but it is still very stressful. Thankfully, Daniel drives too, but I am learning in case of an emergency or something. A more positive side of Haiti is being here with Daniel! I am so thankful that we have this opportunity to be together before we get married. That in itself has been the most important thing to me. It's so much better being in a third world country together, than being in a first world country apart. Haiti is stressful on both of us, and we were able to take a day off together last week and go to the beach! 
WAHOO BAY BEACH

I am still adjusting into my volunteer position as the Assistant to the Program Manager at MAF. I have also been learning a little bit about flight following. In our office we have a computer with the radios next to it and we follow where our planes are going and record down what the pilots tell us. Every morning I enjoy my walk next to all the airplanes on my way to our office/hanger and during lunch we watch all the commercial airplanes take off right next to us. It is a pretty cool opportunity to be here and help out.

MY WALK TO THE HANGER EVERYDAY
MAF HANGER

AIRPLANES  BY THE MAF HANGER

Praises:
-My main one is that I have found a place in the same neighborhood as Daniel and can live there until I go back to the states in October!
-Daniel and I have been healthy and avoided the Chikungunga virus.
-I am getting used to driving in Haiti.




Prayers:
-That I would continue to understand more about my job at MAF and have good team work with my
 co-workers.
-Stay healthy
-Daniel's college classes: that he can manage his time to get his homework done, on top of having a full-time job and us going through our pre-marriage classes.
-Even though I have moved to a less expensive place for rent, I am still looking for supporters to come along and be apart of the adventure with me. Almost everything here can be twice as expensive as it is in the states because they have to import it all. Please see the information on the right side of my blog if you are interested in joining me!
ONE OF THE MAF AIRPLANES
May God bless each of you in your own journey in life and give you the wisdom and understanding to follow what God's plans are for you.

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment