Sunday, June 27, 2021

Guinea, here we come! & US Road Trip Utah

 Hi Friends and Family,

We are excited to share that we finally have our tickets to Guinea. We will be leaving July 18 and returning August 18. Originally, we had planned on going for 3 months and now we will be going for a month. At first, we were discouraged because our plans had to change but we are open to seeing what plans God has for us there. It is all in His timing and we are just grateful to be able to go and since our visa is for 3 years now we can plan another trip later. I am not sure if we will have internet access while we are there but I will try to send out an update or two if I can. 

Lost Eden Canyon
As promised here is the 2nd part of our road trip in May. We got to to Lake Powell, Utah on May 4. When we arrived, it was incredibly hot and windy. Daniel was able to use his telescope the 3 nights we were there and got some great shots of the stars. One of the days we rented kayaks and and found the Lost Eden Canyon which was beautiful. It was so hot that we went swimming in Lake Powell during our kayak adventure. We pulled the kayaks on a beach area and I jumped in. I was back on the beach area when Daniel jumped in and I could hear him scream under the water because it was so cold. lol! Lake Powell is in a 14 year drought and the water used to be where the white line is on the picture. 


Daniel taking a picture of the sunset



The water was so clear! 

Daniel grilling burgers in 100 degrees




Trying to get some shade at our campsite


The morning we left the campground, I lost my wedding ring at the marina. I had taken it off to put lotion on my hands which I rarely do and put it on the pillow on my lap. We were trying to get service to get directions out and when I stepped out of the car, I completely forgot about it. I realized a couple hours later that I lost it and called the Marina but they never found it. 

We got to the Moab area on May 7 and we didn't realize how busy it would be. We drove for a couple hours trying to find a place to camp and they were all taken. We checked into getting a hotel and the cheapest one was $250 for a Motel 6. We decided to just drive to the Canyonlands and maybe we could find a place on the way. Thankfully, we found one camp spot left for $20. We set up our tent and took off to the Canyonlands for the evening. I was driving on the way there and noticed something fly out behind me and then I realized it was some of our towels and pillow and other random things. Our cartop carrier didn't get locked all the way and it opened. I panicked when I realized what happened and Daniel got out and ran back to start picking up the things. I saw some cars coming behind me but I figured they would just go around me because there wasn't much traffic coming the other way. Yeah, that wasn't too smart on my end. I definitely should have pulled over all the way. Daniel got everything, and we continued on. The Canyonlands were really cool. It wasn't too busy but it was incredibly windy. 

Canyonlands










You can actually camp down there if you reserve your spot 6 months in advance and you also need a really good vehicle to travel in and out of there. 










The next morning we went to Arches National Park. We were told to get there early and we got there around 7:30. We were glad we did because when we left around 10:30, it was already closed and they weren't letting anymore cars come in. 






You can kind of see me in the purple shirt


Double Arch

















After Arches we went to Salt Lake City, Utah. We visited the temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We were given a tour by a couple of sisters. All the buildings were closed because of COVID. The temple is under construction because they are worried that an earthquake could destroy it.

 




In my next blog post I will share about our trip to Washington and California. Thanks for your support in prayers and looking forward to sharing more of our adventures with you. 

God Bless,
Daniel and Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment