Sunday, October 21, 2012

Doing and Learning

Greetings All! 

I have been thoroughly enjoying my time here in Honduras! It has been a spiritual growing time in the last 3 weeks. Being away from home, has gotten me to really grasp what I want out of my relationship with God and how I can serve him. There are 2 different things I would like to share with you in this blog post. The first is what I have been doing in Honduras and the second is what I have been learning. 

In my first blog post, I told you about what my first week was like. Which was pretty much just getting settled in a bit and seeing the different ways I could help. The past 2 weeks, I have been able to put those thoughts into actions. I have been able to teach English to the kids at Casa de Luz with flash cards that have the picture on the front. I have them repeat it after me to understand the pronunciation. Then after the flash cards we sing some songs in English that they know. Its great for the teachers that are from Honduras also because they are learning the words along with the kids. Jenny and I have also been baking banana bread for the kids at The Rock and Casa de Luz. We got a huge donation of bananas so we thought of baking the bread to give to the kids at snack time. They loved it! I have also been able to help with the breakfast and lunch dishes at Casa de Luz a few times this past week. I try an assist with other random things during the day also, but those are the main ones. 

What I have learned is not just related to Honduras and what I am doing here. It is also about a book I just finished that has really hit home. The book is called Kingdom Journeys Rediscovering the Lost Spiritual Discipline By Seth Barnes, who started up the mission organization Adventures in Missions. It talks about being restless and how to properly deal with it and use your restless time productively by getting out of your comfort zone to trust God. The part of the book that kept being repeated to me was that we need to come to a stage in life of brokenness, where there is no other option but to trust in God. That's when its time to take a journey out of the comfort zone and let the world see how powerful our God really is by providing for us in ways we never would have thought of. 

All of my previous trips and experiences have lead me to where I am now, here in Honduras helping God's children. The kids that are in Casa de Luz are living in homes that have serious problems. Its really good to know that the kids have a safe place to come to play and learn about God. When I was planning my trip to Honduras, I was thinking I was coming to share the love of God with the people here. I have no doubt that I have done that, but whats even better is what I have learned from the kids and the people. Especially the women here are so welcoming. It has taken me a little while to get used to greeting women and even some men with a kiss on the cheek. Even though I don't understand what they are saying to me, and they don't understand what I am saying. We can share a smile and know that we are impacting God's kingdom. 

I feel like I have been on a Kingdom Journey for the past 2 years. The restlessness I have had and taking it to the next level of going to YWAM and coming here to Honduras. I currently feel that it will continue in the mission field overseas, but that could change too. However, God mentions numerous times in the Bible about how we are to go out to all the nations and spread His good news. That is where I would feel like I was actually making a difference. I don't want to sit around and expect everyone else to do the work, I want to GO.

Thank you for all the prayers and support so far. I don't know the specifics of what people have prayed for, but I can tell you that the first half of my trip has gone really well so far and I am looking forward to see what the next 3 weeks hold in store for me! 

Blessings,
Amy

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amy, great post! I lol when I read the shout out to Kingdom Journeys!! Have you been following his blog? Or did you see it on FB?

    ReplyDelete